Thursday, December 1, 2011

Being Aware Of What You Eat...

Before joining Weight Watchers, I would sometimes wonder why I was overweight. Have you ever wondered that? I mean I didn't eat ALL day long and I wouldn't eat 2 or 3 cheeseburgers when we would go out to eat. I ate a few meals a day and had a few snacks but that was about it. I also NEVER paid attention to nutrition labels and I let the whole "huge portion sizes" slip my mind.  After joining Weight Watchers and adopting a new healthy way of living, I started to pay attention to what I was eating. I started to look at labels and made myself aware of what I was eating.  You know what I discovered... I discovered that when we would go out to eat, I just naturally chose the most unhealthy thing on the menu. Not cool! I also learned that just because it's one can of soup or a small bag of chips, it's not necessarily one serving. I learned that a salad can have just as many calories as a sandwich and how bad pop really is for you! I knew I had to make some changes if I wanted to change my life and be healthy. Here's some things that have helped me and hopefully it will help you too! Weigh and measure your food. Don't just guess or assume. Also, pay attention to labels. Know exactly what you're eating. Know how many servings is in whatever you're eating. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a whole can of soup, but KNOW you're eating 2 servings not just one. I eat soup for lunch sometimes and I always eat the whole can, but I count it as what it is and not what I think it it. Know what you're eating when you go out to eat. Look up menu items and their nutrition information. I think it's fine to become a "food snob" ;) Meaning, don't eat something just to eat it, eat it only because it taste good. The other day we were in Chicago and I used my free Starbucks birthday gift (from Starbucks) and I ordered a skinny peppermint mocha, I was so disappointed it didn't taste good at all so I threw most of it away. Now my old self would've drank it, just because! I now think, why would I eat something or drink something that doesn't taste good? I have learned to slow down and enjoy my food. Before I didn't really slow down and taste the food, I just ate it. Does that make sense? I hope so. I've also learned that I don't have to clean my plate. It's okay if I leave food on my plate. I would always wonder how my husband can leave a few bites of food left on his plate and I would ask, "Rob why don't you just finish that?! It's only 3 bites left!!" He would tell me, "Cause I'm not hungry anymore, I'm done." WHAT?! Well now I can do that too :) There really is no "clean plate club" that our moms would tell us about!! So I encourage you, be a food snob! Pay attention and don't let food control you!

Thanks for reading!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment