Monday, October 15, 2012

Tis the season for challenges..

I love the fall and all the pretty colors it brings. The cool evenings, cuddling up under blankets. The excitement of the holidays.. so much to love about this season. But I have found the season also brings some challenges. I am not kidding, as soon as the leaves start to change, I go into this "I want to eat everything in sight" mode. I believe I'm going into hibernation mode.. It's not good. This is when those practical things I've learned and applied over the past few years come in handy.  So I figured I'd share my practical tips with you in hopes that as the challenges of the season hit you, you'll be a little more prepared. My best tip I can give is to be prepared. We already know Halloween comes first, CANDY, next Thanksgiving (oh, and if you're wondering, my birthday is on Thanksgiving this year ;) and following that, Christmas and New Years. I really don't know why they all have to be so close in the year. They really should've been spread out a little more! Preparation is KEY! I keep fruits and vegetables on hand, cleaned and ready to be eaten. I try my best to have the weeks meals planned out and shopping done. I find that the less prepared I am, the worse I eat. I say 99% of the time you can look in my purse and find a bottle of water and either an apple or banana. I try my best to be prepared "just in case." I try to stay organized with my daily duties, If I do this, I feel less stressed. Once again, the more stressed I feel, the more I am not thinking about my food choices. I also journal my food. I know, it sounds like such a pain, but it does help. I know for me, there's no way I'm going to remember everything I ate that day, especially when the season starts to get busy. I try to keep all the "bad" foods that cause me to over indulge, out of the house. I get the winter blues.. so I don't need to set myself up for a loss by having these in the house. I try to stay busy as best as I can.. I'm sure at least one of my rooms will be painted and made over during the cold season. I don't deprive myself, so if I want something I have it because deprivation is no fun at all. I just make sure I exercise portion control and self control. I'll find a few good books to read and schedule hang out dates with my friends. As far as exercise.. I don't let the excuse of it being too cold out keep me from getting outside to run or take a long walk. Once it's too cold to do that, I love using my exercise DVD's or taking a workout class. It's good to set goals. What do you want by the end of the year? Would you be happy to stay the same, only gain a pound or two or are you aiming for a weight loss? I think any of those options are fine.. it's just picking something to aim for.  So be prepared, set some goals, don't let the expected season cause you to get off track.. I don't think it's worth it. We can all end this season feeling in control and accomplished! 

What you put into it is what you'll get out of it!
Never quit!!! You'll get there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment