Monday, March 26, 2012

The Power of Words..

So I've been on a bit of a rant lately. A few of my close friends have heard me talk about it (sorry ;) so I thought I'd gather a few of my thoughts on the issue and share it with you! I guess the issue sort of confuses me. It's not necessarily that people express their opinions but more so that their opinions weren't expressed when I was very overweight. Here's some things that I've been told. "Mel, are you healthy? You look like you need to gain weight!" "You look like you hit your weight goal 10 pounds ago!" "Yeah, it's easy to lose the weight, it's maintaining that's the hardest part. Most people can't maintain it." "I bet you are hungry!!" Now, I haven't been told these things often, but I have been told these things and they've all been said to me in public with others around, never in private. I have a friend that lost a large amount of weight and she said that someone asked her if she was sick and if she had cancer. I do understand the shock that comes with seeing someone after they've lost a great amount of weight, which is totally understandable. And I also understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion and even entitled to speak their opinion. But here's my issue.. I just don't understand, when I really was unhealthy and borderline diabetic, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and very well on my way to an early death, why no one confronted me with things like, "Hey Mel, you look about 100 pounds past your goal weight." "Are you even healthy? You look like you need to lose some weight!" Honestly that would've been the time to confront me on health issues. So to me, it seems like a double standard and I just don't understand it. Why address someone in one circumstance and not the other? Maybe I'm ranting, but really this whole subject confuses me. Have any of you, my readers, experienced these things? Maybe you're not on a weight loss journey but maybe on another type of journey. I will admit, the words can get to me if I allow them too. I have had some close friends of mine tell me if I'm comfortable with who I am then don't worry about it. And I agree with that! But it can be easier said than done, especially if you're still getting comfortable in your "new skin." I guess it comes down to this, the words spoken to us only have as much power as we allow them to have. If I dwell on them and allow them to dictate the rest of my journey then it is my fault. But if I allow them to roll off my shoulders and not allow them to sink in, then they are just words... zero power!  I've learned that I don't have to defend myself to others. And there will always be critics in your life.  On the other side of this.. it's a nice reminder to speak words of encouragement to others. Push others to move forward and to keep going after their goals!! Let your words be words that others want to hold on to!
Thanks for reading :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment