Thursday, August 15, 2013

The ripple effect

It's really cool that it takes just a small pebble to disrupt a body of water! I do a lot of thinking when I'm running (yes, it's fair to say that since I didn't run much this summer that very little thinking went on ;) ) And the concept of the ripple effect came to mind. It's as simple as this.. there was no way that after my 4 mile, sweaty back, tired legs, heavy breathing self was going to come home and waste my run on a cookie. I am well aware of how many calories I have to burn in order to eat treats. I found this heart breaking chart recently that told me it takes an hour long aerobics to burn off a slice of apple pie, a 2 hr bike ride to burn off 2 slices of meat lovers pizza and a brisk 25 min walk to burn off a muffin. How sad. I know when I do a workout the last thing I want to do waste it on something that will take me 2 minutes to eat. So the ripple effect, when you make a small change it can impact other choices you make during your day. I know for me, just deciding what I'm going to eat for breakfast has a big impact on my day. I love english muffins with peanut butter and jelly on it. It's like dessert for breakfast! I can eat this if I want but it does trigger a sweet tooth throughout my day. If I choose something not as sweet, my day seems to go better. What is a small change you can make that can cause a ripple through your day? Maybe write down what you eat? Go on a walk? Eat a healthier breakfast? It really does work! Of course I always think beyond getting healthy.. any area that you want to see change in your life, start with a small change, a pebble size change. Sometimes we think that we have to change everything all at once, but we don't. Just a small change can set you in motion to make other changes. If you would just set things in motion they will have an effect in other areas of your life. Don't be afraid to drop the pebble. Don't worry about failing. Just think about today and the small change you can make, today! Cheering you on!! Looking forward to hearing about the ripple effects in your life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment