Friday, August 9, 2013

Facing your... cows?

You have no idea how much I love this picture. I met this cow statue on a recent trip to Michigan with my mom and sisters. We walked into a meat shop and I saw this cow standing there in this pose that demanded attention. He definitely got mine! I really wasn't sure how to title this post. You see, I wanted to say "Facing your demons" but it sounds so intense.. RAWR! But that's really what it is. You know those things that seem to call your name when you're doing well. Those things that stop you from staying on track and staying focused. That thing that lures you in the middle of the night that causes you to sneak into the refrigerator when no ones looking. That thing that makes you feel like you can't actually complete what you set out to do. I was thinking about some of my.. cows.. ;) and how facing them was and is the only way to defeat them. I have always wished I was one of "those girls" that when I got sad I could just starve myself. Like I was sooo sad that food just turned my stomach. Not me. I was the total opposite. Food seemed to be my resolve for everything! Sad times happy times bored times.. just anytime! I can remember driving through different drive throughs all alone and buying my favorite foods from the different places and eating the food while I just drove. It's so gross to think about that now. It's actually quite embarassing. I would allow food to comfort me when I felt alone. It would bring that temporary fix but not too long afterwards I would feel terrible about myself and turn right back around and feed that terrible feeling with food. It was an awful cycle! This is why a lifestyle change was the only way I was going to lose weight and keep it off. I needed to make some inside changes in my life. Most of the changes I made were inside changes. Habits had to be broken. Issues had to be dealt with. New habits had to be formed. I had to face the cows that I had allowed to win in my life. My mindset had to change on how I saw myself. Your mind has to be stronger than your body! Your mind has to be stronger than your habits! So what do you do? I think most of us know our habits. We know why we turn to food. There are practical changes you can make like keeping healthy options in your house, going on a walk when you feel that need to eat when you're not hungry kick in, calling a friend.. something to avoid the desire to eat. There might also be issues that you just need to resolve and let go of. Negative relationships in your life, maybe unforgiveness and pain you're holding on to.. whatever it might be. You want a better healthier you, so what do you need to do to get there? Face those "cows" and don't give up until you win! I think sometimes we see the changes on the scale and, yes, those are wonderful feelings!! But to keep the weight off, the habits have to change. My advice, change the habits, face the demons, let go.. whatever you need to do, do it while you're losing weight. Weight doesn't just come in the form of that mushy stuff that covers your body.. it's also that heavy stuff we carry inside of our hearts and minds. Don't quit!! Always cheering you on!!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment