Thursday, July 11, 2013

A different kind of goal...


Do you ever think about the memory you'd like to leave behind after you're gone? What do you want people to say about you once you pass away? This might not be a subject you'd like to think about right now but it is something that I've been thinking about especially today. This morning I sat in a church with my dear friend and her family and friends as we said goodbye to her dad. He passed away suddently and unexpectedly. I know it's not easy whether you expect it or not. Losing someone is hard and sad and you don't even know how your heart will ever heal. You just never know when your life will end and at that point the words that will be said about you are no longer up to you. I want to share with you some words that were spoken today about Charley. They touched me and will stay with me throughout my lifetime. The priest was talking about the video of pictures he watched that was put together that represented Charley's life. The priest mentioned something that just hit me. He said as he was watching the video he noticed that in just about every picture of Charley, Ginny (his wife of 46 years) was standing next to him. Because where ever Charley was, Ginny was. He also mentioned that in just about every picture of the family (Ginny and their two daughters) Charley was present in the picture. Because he was always there. I thought how amazing, here is this man that worked and had a social life and he volunteered for different organizations and he loved people.. but the one thing that seems to stand above the rest is his love for his family. He was present. I don't know but it seems to me Charley had a goal in life to love his family. To be present and not just exist amongst them. He seemed to take his time and live in the moment with them. To not rush through life. Sometimes life can seem like it's just a bunch of events one after another. We get through one event already focused on what's next. We hold our breathe just waiting to get done with the thing we're dealing with now. If you're anything like me, you've been guilty of letting too much time slip by just because "you're too busy." You find that you are present physically but your mind is somewhere else. Really, the most important time in your life is right now. I love that Charley and Ginny were in the pictures together. I love that Lauren and Natalie had their dad in the pictures with them. I love that he was present! Charley's life reminded me of this today .. I want to be here, right now and no where else because there is no other place or time more important. This is my lesson from Charley. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment