Tuesday, June 11, 2013

1, 2, 3... JUMP!

Have you ever tried jumping on a park bench with both feet at the same time? Last fall, Robbie and I and the kids were playing at a park near our house. That summer I had done several weeks of a boot camp and felt pretty tough. So here I am, Rob has his little video recorder set on his phone and I am going to prove to him that I can jump up on this bench, I can do this! The whole video is of me attempting but being a chicken and not going through with it. Well, yesterday the kids and I went back to the same park and I passed my phone to Jack and pressed record, I counted 1,2 and 3 and jumped right up on that same bench I chickened out on last fall. I didn't even have to think twice. Of course, I jumped it several times because I felt so hard core and I sent the video to Rob just to brag ;) . To some this might not be much of anything.. but to me, it was just a nice reminder of how far I've come. I don't believe that it has much to do with my physical strength but more to do with my mental strength. Isn't that how life is though? The more we press through the stronger we get. When we can't do it at first, it doesn't mean we've failed. It's when we quit, that's when we've failed. Life is all about over coming challenges that come our way. Whether is has to do with our jobs or our relationships.. whether it's challenges that you face while you're trying to lose weight or finish school. Unfortunately there really is no easy way  to reach your goals or accomplish your dreams. It takes hard work, commitment and perserverance. Those quick easy fixes that some might find, will only last a short time. It's what we learn in the process of getting us to our goal, that sticks. That's what helps us maintain our goals and helps us over come the next challenge that we'll face. I am a big believer in what we set our mind too, we'll get. Start small.. what's something you can challenge yourself to do from now until the end of the month? Write it down, keep a calendar of the days you're working on it. See your accomplishments as you reach them. My friend and boot camp instructor, Debbie, tells me this, "It doesn't get easier, it's that you get better and stronger!" That's so true.. you get better. When you refuse to quit and you keep going.. the better and stronger you get. That park bench didn't get lower I just got better. 1, 2, 3... JUMP! NOW!

2 comments: